Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gefen & Ridings - (extra blog) Blog #18

The thing that stood out to me in this article the most was the fact that the gender-differences in communication generally have a negative effect on the conversation, due to cross-gender miscommunication. As the authors state, the gender differences in oral discourse are the result of socialized differences, and therefore should occur within informal written communication. As I have said before, this hasn't always been my experience in online courses, but I do see this idea often throughout everyday communication in the classroom setting. Furthermore, I agree with the way the authors state the way women communicate. For me, I know that I generally state my opinions or thoughts strongly, even in online discussions in courses. But, the authors explain that women usually communicate to create rapport or affinity, so their conversation is generally less forceful. I agree with the idea that women often communicate in such a way as to make it a point to include the whole group, and men do not attempt to accomplish the same thing. Looking back on my participation in class discussion boards or in-class discussions throughout college, I do see the tendency toward "softening" my speech/communication so to not offend anyone and to include more people.

1 comment: