Sunday, December 13, 2009

" ‘I totally agree with you’: gender interactions in educational online discussion groups" J. Guiller & A. Durndell Blog #16

I was somewhat shocked by the findings presented in this article. I have been in several online classes with discussion based-curriculum and I have never felt that men are more aggressive or confrontational. I do agree with the idea that women often put in more of their own feelings, thoughts, or experiences compared to men, but that seems to be pretty true of women in general. Even if this sounds rude or unkind, in my experience with online courses, men seem to try to get by with as little discussion as possible. I continue to be shocked by results of studies finding that men are more verbose or more firm in their opinions. This has been the opposite of my experience. In every online course I've ever taken, and just about any class I've taken overall, women always seem to be the ones who want to speak up more or voice their thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment